Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Trini Tuesday-Peter Minshall

Right now in Trinidad there is a frenzied build-up to Carnival. Just like in New Orleans or Rio there is much costuming, same goes for Trinidad. The organizers of Mas Bands will start planning after Easter since basically during Lent there are to be no such fleshly thoughts or pursuits occuring. The largest and most well known will publish pictures of the possibilities for next year's costumes and member may vote on which theme they are most interested in. Once the voting is complete, the winning design is announced and orders can be taken for costumes. This time of year is the mad rush for completion and fittings. There are many traditional characters who make regular appearances at Carnival but there is also one designer who has forever changed Mas in Trinidad.


* image taken from http://www.carnaval.com/tnt/minshall/

Peter Minshall was born in Guyana but his family moved to Trinidad when he was very young. He is considered a native son and the father of modern Mas. While most mas bands dress as somewhat traditional characters or use costumes that are reminiscent of Las Vegas showgirls, Peter Minshall's designs worn by the Callaloo Company are considered true works of theatrical art and described as moving mobiles.

Merry Monarch


You may think, big deal, just some local Trini costume designer at a carnival smaller than the one in Rio or Mardi Gras. You'd be wrong though. Minshall has acheived world fame in his field and was the main designer for awards ceremonies and presentations during the 1994 World Cup, and opening ceremonies for 1992 Barcelona Olympic games, opening ceremonies for the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and the 2002 opening ceremonies in Salt Lake City.

joytotheworldqueen1995

Joy to the World

His interest in costume design began when he was just a boy and his very first mas costume of an African witch doctor won him an award in a local competition he entered at age 13. In 1974 he designed a ground breaking and ethereal costume for his sister which was a sensation. In 1976 he completed his first full company costuming with the theme of Paradise Lost. Carnival onlookers watched a pageant in 4 acts parade past them and Peter Minshall's artistic vision was seared upon a nation.


Bird of Paradise

*images of kings and queens taken from http://callaloo.co.tt/kings_queens/default.HTML

Happy Trini Tuesday

UPDATE: You can find the images TTfootball mentioned here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics because of the costumes. I never knew who designed them though. Thanks for sharing that!

Happy Trini-Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

wow, his costume designs are fantastic.
He is awesome, thanks for posting these pictures.
tc

Anonymous said...

Wow those are awesome Lime!! I bet it is a fun time there!!

KFarmer said...

What an interesting man and creative genius! I'd love to put one of his designs on-I still love playing dress-up. They look like fair and firey fairies- very beautiful :)

S said...

Oh wow these are so awesome! Thanks for sharing him. I am off to google more of his stuff!

Still working on dupatta post...

Anonymous said...

I've never been to any Carnival and I guess I have really missed out!

Anonymous said...

Festive!

ttfootball said...

Great topic Lime, he's such an articulate speaker too. You needed to include a pic of TanTan and Saga Boy tho, tsk tsk. But once again, praiseworthy how you take time to share this info :)

Stephanie said...

Those costumes are incredible!!!

I just loved the costumes used for the olympics -- I had no idea!!

Anonymous said...

That is some amazing stuff there!

Anonymous said...

anon-was me...lecram

Moosekahl said...

Very cool! A friend of mine was in Rio last year at this time and shared his pictures with us. The rest of the US other than New Orleans needs to do a show like this!

RennyBA said...

This costume designs is great art and you know I love carnivals:-)
And: Olympics too - in a day or so I'll post about the city of Lillehammer, Norway where the winter Olympics in 1994 took place!

BTExpress said...

I've always wanted to go to a Carnival. I almost did when i was in Antigua, but was advised against going because of the risk of getting robbed.

AndyT13 said...

Hey babe.
Always love the Trini posts and this one is no different. Awesome!
I guess I'll post the big news (if there IS big news) after the weekend.
Hope yours is fab.
A

Melodie Norman Haas said...

I realized I totally forgot to comment when I read this...hours ago! Been a long day LOL But his costumes are awesome! Makes me think of Cirque de Solei.
I bet carnival is awesome. Thanks for sharing again!

Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

I'm thinking two things, okay, maybe three....

1. Holy Toledo

2. So much for the Mummers...

3. Those who do NOT know what Mummers are, (and are not comfortable with huge dock workers, police, firemen, --all playing instruments and looking like a really bad rendition of 'to Wong Foo...' be glad...
(scarred for life, I tell ya.)

CozyMama said...

i like the last photo - that is my favorite flower and luckily I get to look at it year round.

Anonymous said...

http://www.allyuh.com/trackback.php?id=72