Monday, November 21, 2005

Night of the Band Geeks

ginats

Diana is a self-described band geek. She lives for marching band season. From the end of August until Thanksgiving Day there are football games, parades and competitions to march in.

Two weeks ago on Saturday night we went to Giants Stadium for THE big marching band competition of the year. A gazillion bands from all over the East Coast show up to strut their stuff to see who comes out on top. Diana plays trumpet, Dad is part of the pit crew, I am part of the mom crew that sews uniforms and feeds everyone.

Our band was scheduled to perform dead last at 12:20am. Yes indeed, 20 minutes AFTER midnight, or to quote the band director, "Oh my god o'clock." We only go as an exhibition band so we perform dead last while the night's results are tabulated in order to award the winners.
show1

It was really something to see the other bands and how they work. So many of them are just dead serious, unsmiling, regimented, out for blood. Our four buses parked, then the equipment truck, then Mr. Lime and me with our pick-up loaded for the tailgating party and pulling the lawn tractor we use to haul the equipment on the field. The whole scene of us pulling in and unloading the grill, food and equipment sort of made me think of the Beverly Hillbillies arriving in southern California. The stunned looks of the serious minded competitors surrounding us were priceless. The band parents cooked up a storm and the 'neighbors' were wishing they had thought to tailgate the way our band had!

attention1
OMG o'clock arrived. Our rag-tag band marched on the field following a very serious and polished group of trenchcoat clad 'Matrix' imitators, complete with lookalike black wigs and sunglasses. Our kids proceeded to play their their hearts out and fill Giants Stadium with disco music, get the crowd on their feet dancing along to 'YMCA,' and have a helluva lot of fun doing it. I'll take that over the high pressure perfectionism any time!
guillotine

12 comments:

Sheri said...

wow! What great fun and I'm so happy that you AND Mr. Lime are both involved. I used to wish on a star when I was in high school that my parents would take half an interest in what I did. You are an awesome mom!

Breazy said...

I am with you there Lime . The serious stiff necks get on my nerves because what they don't understand is that it isn't blood you should be out for but fun . Great tailgating idea ! I use to be in the band at school . I played the clarinet .

Bsoholic said...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun! My sister was in the band, and did lots of events like that.

Cool!

S said...

Well now, that sounded like a lot of fun...I would have a lttle problem with the "oh my god o'clock" part!

And waitaminit, I thought Giants stadium was over here on the left coast?

CozyMama said...

very cool!!!

lime said...

sheri, aww. i'm sorry your folks didn't take the interest. i am sure it makes you a better mom though because you do take interest.

breazy, rock on! calypso plays clarinet and can't wait to join the band next year.

bs, joedes, thanks.

bare, i dunno if you all have a Giants Stadium but we got one in the Meadowlands in NJ. Ask Mr Ratburn, i am sure he will confirm.

Logophile said...

How cool!
I love it, 'cept I thought oh my god o'clock was at like 5 am.
12:30 is great!
Sounds like good fun.

Bsoholic said...

Lime went to the New York Giants stadium (football)

Barefoot is thinking of the San Francisco Giants (baseball)

Just to clear things up there. :p

lime said...

ariella, right you are in my book.....

bs, thanks for clearing that up!

S said...

Thanks for clearing that up BS....I didnt know about those east coast giants!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a blast!!

The Village Idiot said...

I had to be in a "serious" marching band my first year of high school...before i could make my escape and play jazz. Still, those field shows could be fun!

Sounds like a blast Lime