Monday, January 12, 2009

Oh Baby!

Yesterday I finally got to meet my dear friend's baby, Sweet Pea in person. Actually, I got to do more then meet her. I got to cuddle her all afternoon. And no, Sweet Pea isn't her real name. I am invoking "Auntie's prerogative" to give her a nickname. She is just a sweet, cuddly little bundle of adorableness who barely made a peep for the 6 hours I was visiting...Yeah, Auntie Lime hung around a long time but she lives far away, is an undemanding guest, and no one was kicking her out.

She was just waking up when I got there so I had a quick snuggle before she started rooting around looking for the goods. Since my well ran dry a long, long time ago I handed Sweet Pea over to Mama Pea. Sweet Pea was much relieved by that. After a full belly and a clean bum she was ready for some more Auntie loving. She fussed a bit about how hard it is to be almost two weeks old and I told her I understood. I helped her blow some bubbles out both ends and then she quite contentedly decided Auntie Lime's shoulder was a dandy place for a snooze. Fortunately for me, Mama Pea didn't mind letting me have Sweet Pea doze in my arms (you know, some mamas insist on cribs and cradles for fear that babies will get too accustomed to being held while they sleep) so I just soaked up all the soft, pink snuggliness until she got hungry again. It was a really hard day, let me tell you.

Sweet Pea is healthy, happy, and too cute for words. Mama Pea is recovering well. She and Papa Pea are head over heels in love with Sweet Pea so all is as it should be in their world. I have decided they simply need to move back here so I can properly dote on Sweet Pea...both for her sake and mine. I've discovered the antidote to an atmosphere heavy laden with adolescence. It comes swaddled and cooing.

*I did take pictures but I got home pretty late and haven't had time to download them or fiddle with them yet. They'll come later this week.

27 comments:

EmBee said...

Relishing the joy you articulated so well.
:-)

G-Man said...

Well.....
Don't be getting any idea's Trini!!

Anonymous said...

Babies are magical.

KFarmer said...

There is nothing sweeter in this world than baby spit and that's the honest to God truth. So happy that you got to hold the precious little bundle and soak in the coos and woos :)

S said...

Sheesh I am surprised you didnt start leaking after all that goo!

:P

Pictures?

lime said...

embee, shucks thanks!

g-man, not to worry. i am perfectly content to be the eccentric auntie

citizen, they are indeed!

kfarmer, all's right with the world in those moments.

s, LOL...ya know, so am i!

tsduff said...

Everyone should have a nice Auntie Lime like you. That is one lucky little sweet pea. Makes one want to go find one to pick up and cuddle :)

furiousBall said...

i love babies. i can totally dominate babies on the basketball court

Hilary said...

Awww nice way to spend the day. I can almost smell her from here.. the good smells, that is.

Anonymous said...

Do you now have your "How I will spoil Sweet Pea" list going?

Logophile said...

Ya know, I love the auntie role. I love snuggles, and spoiling, and handing them back and driving home for a good night's sleep.
Yum, what a fun day!

Bijoux said...

I could go for some of that sort of sweetness in my life right about now.

Cheesy said...

After the movie Bella and I went for supper and had a pink ball of flirt sitting next to us... It was soo awesome!

Desmond Jones said...

Aww, Auntie Lime, you're so cute. . .

barman said...

Sweet Pea is lucky to have an Auntie like you. I predict some tie-dye and maybe a quilt in Sweet Peas future.

lime said...

tsduff, aww shucks thanks.

furiousball, but i bet they dribble more than you do

hilary, it really is a wonderful way to wile away the hours.

lecram, i do believe that may be fodder for a post. thanks for the idea!

logo, you got it, all the fun, none of the pain

cocotte, i hope there's a baby somewhere you can enjoy.

desmond, now i'm blushing...guess i did gush a bit, huh?

barman, oh she got tie dye from me before she was even born!

Anonymous said...

glad you got a chance to do some serious cooing Lime...i did last week too...!!! (^_^)

oh and that comment on suse's blog...???!!! ahem...pardon me...??? ;P

S said...

I loved RUPERT lime! I am not watching survivor in order so I have seen the allstars one and the one with Rupee. Hes so cool.

:P

Anonymous said...

Babies are just wonderful for that!! :) Sounds like you and Sweet Pea had a wonderful time! :)

Commander Zaius said...

I've discovered the antidote to an atmosphere heavy laden with adolescence. It comes swaddled and cooing.

As someone dealing with the early years of an adolescent boy who is sure as the sun will rise tomorrow that both mom and dad are full of Sh@t I will need to take that advice. My youngest cousin and his wife are expecting their first.

Anonymous said...

Oo a bundle of love! I'm so jealous. I'd love to cuddle a widdle baby!

lime said...

guinness, oh your wee one must be getting all sorts of personality by now!

s, rupert rocks

mssolitaire, we enjoyed ourselves immensely...at least that's how i am intepreting her reaction...

beach bum, i am thick in the middle of it with a 13, 15, and 18 year old. i NEEDED baby cuddles

blither, kinda irresistible, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

I never did understand that whole "don't you touch him it will spoil him" idea. No wonder we're all starving for a little attention...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time! We've got a new pea in our pod too (post soon) and I'm looking forward to some snuggle time too!

Moosekahl said...

glad the weather cooperated and you were able to make the trip! And that it was all you wanted it to be!

Mona said...

O Boy! Sweet pea, Mama pea & Papa pea, remind me of Goldilocks! :)

They really do get accustomed. My son would make me not only hold him while he snoozed, but also wanted me to keep walking too & fro all the night long. If I paused, he let out a blood curdling wail!

I hope that what ever makes you happy, comes near you :)

lime said...

coopernicus, amen, brother

seamus, oooh, i can't wait to read about yours!

moose, i had to delay by a day but it all worked out

mona, lol, i gguess there was sort of a fairy tale feel to it.