Thursday, December 02, 2010

Friday 55 & Da Count- Sharing with Friends

FRIDAY 55

Invading armies desecrate the holy place.
Brave men fight back led by the one called 'The Hammer.'
The foe is defeated, the temple cleansed.
We must relight the lamps.
There is so little consecrated oil.
It will take days to prepare more.
Unexpectedly, the lamps burn 8 days.
A great miracle has happened.
Happy Chanukah!



DA COUNT

I posted this 55 three years ago but since it's Chanukah I decided to put it up again.  We have some friends who have shared their holiday with us.  We celebrated it together many years.  I was delighted for my kids to learn about it and enjoy it with friends.  I won't totally rehash the old count the same way I did the 55 but I will count a sharing atmosphere where I work. 

I am not the only person at work who has been recently plagued by numerous difficult circumstances.  There seems to be a rash of it among my coworkers.  Two other coworkers have cars that keep falling apart like mine.  Two have immediate family members with serious health issues.Five of us are currently receiving treatment at our own office for recent injuries.  With so many people under all sorts of stress you might think I work with a bunch of surly people and in fact contribute to the sour mood myself.  We are all capable complainers at times but for the most part none of us linger in that for too long.  We can all tell when someone comes in after a particularly rough patch and we all cut the one having a hard time some slack.  We listen to each other, support each other, make each other laugh in spite of the crap going  on.  On our lunch break you generally find us giving each other various necessary treatments, which on one hand is kind of hilarious (Hey Doc, can ya crack me?  Sure...can you give my shoulder  a combo?  Yep, right after I hook up Jane to the decompression table....once she finishes the deep muscle work on John.).  On the other hand it's really a relief to be working in a place that takes good care of its patients and where we all take good care of each other.  It's also really count-worthy that we don't take advantage of each other in an opportunistic way.  After the rough week I had (and the rougher week one of the other girls had), and when I consider the hell-hole I used to work in (where they just didn't give a damn about anything but the bottom line) I just really want to count the sharing of burdens in a caring manner that goes on among my coworkers.

25 comments:

G-Man said...

Whatever happened to Hannukah?

G-Man said...

BTW...I LOVED your 55.
The Hammer!!! You Betcha Baby.
Thanks for playing Trini, Thanks for letting me Yahtzee your Snuffly self, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

Teresa said...

Love your 55--such a timely one.

Monkey Man said...

Great Hannukah tribute.

Alice Audrey said...

I think I've heard that story somewhere before. ;)

Now if only I could handle the spelling thing.

Craig said...

Don't know if I ever told you that my birth-mom and her husband are Jewish. It just adds whole layers of richness to our lives. . .

And friendships at work are a rare-enough privilege. Most definitely count-worthy.

moondustwriter said...

I love the celebrations this time of year - enjoy your comaraderie my friend - know that you are a shoulder for them


Moonie smiles

Jannie Funster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jannie Funster said...

Blue Bunny just bought a new menora. He's half Jewish, half Presbyterian.

Sorry to hear about all the hardship for your friends lately. You are a good friend to them.

Super to see you earlier. Never worry about not getting around to my place. We all have busy real lives too. :)

xo

Hilary said...

Thanks for the Hanukkah 55.. nicely done. So sorry that there are so many woes amongst your co-workers but it sure is fantastic that you work with such a supportive group. You fit right in.

Brian Miller said...

your 55 rocks....happy hanukkah!

Hootin Anni said...

Perfect!!!!


My 55 is posted!! Here is the link for you.

Suldog said...

You've got the right attitude, but you certainly don't need me to tell you that. Good on ya! And I really enjoyed the Judas Maccabeus poetry, too.

joanna said...

A thoughtful and meaning post,, enjoy the season however its spelled.

joanny

TALON said...

Loved the 55.

Sorry everyone's going through a rough patch, but the type of support you're talking about is priceless. Sounds like a terrific place to work.

hedgewitch said...

It's always comforting to know people can rise above as well as sink beneath their burdens-and worse case,as the immortal Boss once said "You got to learn to live with what you can't rise above.." Enjoyed your 55 and the better side of us human beans it shows.

Bubba said...

Nice 55, Lime!
(And happy Chaka Khan!)



This was too funny not to share....

WORD VERIFICATION: broads
DEFINITION: often the last term a man uses towards a group of females before he's beaten down by them.

lecram said...

Once again reminding us that we are never alone... always a worthy count.

Kat said...

Great 55, Lime.
Happy Hanukkah everyone!

So glad you are in such a wonderful work environment now. What a difference that makes!

KB said...

It's so important to have a good enviroment and helpful people around you at work.

gautami tripathy said...

Great 55! Love the spirit!

astral music

Anonymous said...

nurturing at work???? caring at work?????

that really exists?????

awesome....

Stranger said...

Happy Chanukah!
Thank you for reposting this - I missed it the first time around.

Maude Lynn said...

Cool 55!

Kavita said...

Now that's a niiiice ode to Hannukah.. a li'l bit of history, a dash of miracle and a dazzle of those lovely lights...
A very Happy Hannukah to you, and to your friends too!! I hope things get better for them.. soon!