It's almost time for my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving! The last year and a half or more has at times seemed like an unending series of trials but in the last couple of months the winds have changed, for which I am very grateful. Either way though I have so much to be thankful for and even though I try to regularly engage in Da Count (counting the good stuff I've got rather than bemoaning what I lack) I think it's good to put together a list of things from the past year as a way to look back and remind myself. Even in a year of trials I find there is just so much to be grateful for so here goes.... It is by no means exhaustive and it's in no particular order.
1. The current physical health of my family. There are no broken bones, mystery illnesses, debilitating conditions. That all by itself is just HUGE and I am breathing a very grateful sigh of relief.
2. A stronger, healthier relationship with my dad then I would have dared hope for even a few short years ago.
3. A mom and stepmom who give generously of themselves in different ways to support their kids and grandkids when it matters most.
4. Truly amazing friends, both in 3D life and online. I am overwhelmed by the love sometimes.
5. Medicine to make my kid better, dispensed by a professional, compassionate, capable doctor after strong of incompetencies and abuses by so many others.
6. A new clothes dryer that plays a sweet little tune at the end of the cycle instead of sounding like it's tumbling around a pack of rabid cats for and entire cycle.
7. A husband who is handy enough to be able to fix a lot of things around the house so we don't have to be paying repairmen all the time.
8. A son who is discovering he can be competent in the kitchen.
9. Daughters who are striving to make wise choices now that they are out of the nest.
10. The chance to meet Susie and Logo and to see Seattle.
11. Having a job. Big bonus that I feel like I contribute to people's well-being, have bosses who provide a decent environment, and have coworkers who mostly work well together and look out for each other.
12. Flannel sheets. What? It's been cold lately.
13. A free, used refrigerator so now I don't have to deal with puddles on the kitchen floor or disgusting mold around the door seal.
14. An invite from Diana to come visit for the weekend, just so we can spend time together.
15. My camera. It was a long year and then some saving up for a new one. I thoroughly enjoy having Boom-boom at my disposal.
16. The promise that beloved friends will be here in less than a month.
17. Music and books. They provide a place to escape and imagine.
18. This space where I get to create whatever I want and that so many of you come visit and share the ride with me. Thanks you for whatever you've shared here, whether it's been a few kind words, some laughs, some tears, or some desperately needed support in a variety of forms during dark days.
I am blessed. I am grateful.
I'd love to know what would make your lists this year.