Thursday, March 28, 2013

Good Friday 55

*This first one is new this year but I am including the 55s from previous years as well.


The Arimathean

 I followed him secretly
since I was on the council which opposed him.
At His trial
I would not condemn him
though the others did.
What I could not do while He lived
I dared after He died.
I boldly asked Pilate
for the body,
prepared it for burial,
laid Him in my own tomb.    



The Governor


I found no fault
in the one brought before me.
My wife warned me.
Herod returned him to me.
I offered to release him
but the crowd demanded the murderer instead.
Lacking strength of conviction,
I yielded to the mob.
Water washed my hands
but could not cleanse my conscience
of an innocent man's blood.


The Disciple

I left my business and my home to follow him.
I sat at his feet,
swore my allegiance,
said I'd die with him.
drew my weapon in his defense.
When my test came
I cowered in the darkness,
denied we ever met,
and knew my love was nothing
as his poured out for faithless me.



The Cyrene

I came to Jerusalem for the Passover.
I heard the commotion,
saw the condemned paraded in the street.
One was barely alive.
I turned away until...
the Roman yanked me from the crowd,
laid the beam on my shoulders.
Only when I met the bloodied man's eyes
did I realize he endures the judgment
I deserve.



The Thief

Merciless sun blisters my skin as the crowd's unrelenting curses assault my ears.
The weight of my own guilt,
the pain of dislocated joints and bound limbs bear down so heavily
I can barely breathe.
I dangle between present agony and hopeless eternity until He tells me,
"Today you will be in Paradise with Me."



The Guard

I'm glad to follow my orders well.
It's like taking out the trash to rid the earth of the scum we execute here.
Today is different.
One never begged for mercy, never fought us.
He spoke mercy on us all.
For the first time I feel guilt.
I fall to my knees, confess His deity.



The Mother

We had to travel when my time was so near.
When the king was killing the little boys we had to flee for our lives.
I was panicked when we lost him in the city.
But nothing has pierced my heart
like watching the spikes enter his flesh
and the sword plunge into his side.


14 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

Lovely stories for the Easter celebration. I like the different pov's, particularly the mother's. You guys are making me feel so lame...

g-man said...

Yvonne....Hush Up
Michelle.... A fantastic array of Good Friday Inspiration!
To me. This day was the most powerful Christian day of the year
Thank You for sharing your past creations with us all
Loved your Good Friday Compilation
Thanks for showcasing your great creativity
And have a Kick Ass Week End

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

Interesting reading the different voices. You did a good job.

Bijoux said...

Wonderful reminders of Good Friday's events. Happy Easter to you!

Craig said...

As always, thank you for this, my friend. . .

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Wonderful way to start off on Good Friday.
It sets the tone for the entire weekend.

Daryl said...

beautiful, thank you for including the previous 'stanzas' put it all together for a wonderful epic poem

Jazzbumpa said...

each one really well done
a collection of wows

Cheers!
JzB

(M)ary said...

Together they are a powerful collection...a mini book
I need to look up the Cyrene. I don't remember that part of the Bible but I tend to zone out during the darker portions of the crucifixion story.

Unknown said...

Beautiful,, beautiful, beautiful. Thank you so much for these.

Other Mary said...

Beautifully done. You are very good at giving voice to the different characters. Besides it artistic value, I think this would make an excellent discussion starter.

Kat said...

Wow.
So, so beautiful. All of them.
Thank you, Lime.

Dave said...

Interesting to read this incident from different perspectives Michelle. Did you write these? If so well done! - Dave

Suldog said...

No bull. This is one of the best writings I've ever seen concerning The Passion. Well done.