Monday, August 18, 2014

Critters

I've been shooting all sorts of critters this summer....with Boom-boom my Canon....not boom-boom a gun.  It's a habit I picked up ears ago when Isaac was small and collecting the various insects, amphibians, and reptiles he could find in the yard was his favorite thing.  We'd take a picture, marvel a bit, look up the species, and put it back.  As I am lacking time to come up with a reflective or humorous post and as this past week has been a sucktastic one I am sharing the local fauna now in attempts to make myself think of more cheerful or peaceful things.  First up, the chipmunks.  As a kid I spent a lot of time in the mountains with my grandparents and feeding the chippies by hand was a favorite past time.  Since Mr. Lime and Isaac chase them off I was pleased to be able to sit in the yard peacefully with them one afternoon as they scampered around looking for seeds.


You talkin' to ME?  This little one cracked me up when I downloaded the picture off  my camera.
While I was in Maryland I was able to enjoy the goldfinches.  We get them at our feeder occasionally but I was able to get much closer to these and since I wasn't contending with the shade from our feeder their colors came out more brilliantly.  Here's Mrs. Finch.
















Mr. Finch.  You can certainly see how much more brilliant his plumage is.  Again, as a kid in the mountains, I was reminded of my grandfather. We kids could feed the chippies by hand but only my grandfather could draw the wild birds to his upturned palms as he sat in zen-like repose on the back porch.  I always thought he and the birds had a special relationship.  My aunt confirmed that with this story.
Back at home we found some other little friends.  This frog  has made a home in a hole in one of our fence posts. His drowsy look and his hiding space just sort of make me giggle.










Not far away from the fence post, Mr. Lime built a bird bath out of an old claw-footed tub.  About the time we found the fence post neighbor we found this little one had taken up residence in the birdbath.  He just seems a bit more outgoing and I can imagine him calling the other frog enticing him to come play while the other one moans about wanting a nap.
Finally, I nearly stepped on this little red eft one day on my way out to the car.  When I noticed him I had to go back in for my camera.  I can remember scooping them up and carrying crowds of them...um, herds...er, wriggles....whatever the collective noun for a salamander is...in my shirt by folding up the front hem and using it like a pocket.

Happy memories of years past and peaceful times this summer...aahh, that's better. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love me some chipmunks. They're so much better than squirrels as rodents go.

stephen Hayes said...

Isn't it amazing how all these animals live in harmony with nature without destroying the environment. We humans could learn from them. Great pictures.

Bijoux said...

Those are great shots! Chipmunks crack me up, even though they do major damage in the mulch. Every day at 4 pm, we have one who sits on our rock wall and does his chirp thing.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"...aahh, that's better."

I'm glad.

Isn't it amazing what will center us if we seek it?

Beautiful post, thanks.

Craig said...

I'm uber-impressed that you could even capture shots like these. Good eye, and good reflexes to snap 'em off while they're still there. . .

Hope the suckiness lifts before too long. . .

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabor said...

I had a chipmunk as a pet one summer. He used to ride on my shoulder and had to let him go during the fall. It was fun traveling and seeing them again on this trip.

Commander Zaius said...

I knew a certified 60's hippy once who "distrusted" chipmunks. Never knew if his prejudice was real or just an attempt at staying in character. In his case some questions were best left unanswered.

On the other hand, he claimed his acid flashbacks gave him a special insight in quantum physics.

joeh said...

Great pictures.

Chipmunks are my favorites!

Kat said...

How fun! Great pictures! I'm not sure I've ever seen such a colorful salamander. So cute!
I just love the chipies. The kids spent a good part of Friday feeding chipmunks out of their hands. So fun!

I am sorry to hear that your week was so sucky. Here's to hoping this weekend is much less suckalicious.

Secret Agent Woman said...

You got some great shots. I have some chipmunks at my new house - so cute!

Hilary said...

You got some terrific shots of some of my favourite creatures. That salamander shot is fantastic. I haven't seen any around here, so far and would like to. Their faces are just adorable. Love the goldfinch shots.. so sharp and crisp. As for chippers.. I adore those guys. We have about a half dozen that come around for handouts on a daily basis. One of them is super friendly. He climbs our legs and hops into our shirt pockets to see if he can find any peanuts.. and of course, he usually does. So sweet when they're trusting enough to let you pet them. Thanks for the great images.

Unknown said...

It was fun traveling and seeing them again on this trip.


หนังใหม่