Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Overheard in (or regarding) the Library

It's a strange soundtrack to which I work. Outside one door is a beginner clarinetist honking and squeaking through Mary Had a Little Lamb. Outside the other door kindergarteners are learning letter sounds and chanting..t-t-t-t-t-t...Inside the library, the heaters that were just turned on this morning are clanging along.

It's got an interesting beat, a little challenging to dance to. I give it a 47.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
5th grader comes into the library and upon checking out tells me he was stressed and ready to pull his hair out deciding on a book.

Me: Friend, just relax. Picking a book should be relaxing.

Him: I get stressed over everything.

Me: Take a deep breath. Just breathe.

Him:
I tried that over 300 times. It doesn't work.

Me: Well, stop breathing. Let me know how that works out for ya.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2nd grade quote of the day:

Him: I wish this was a real library.
Me: It is.
Him: But everyone talks too loud.

I love all the kids but the ones who crave the sanctuary get me every time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh the self-control I exhibit...When a student commented on the leather jacket draped over my chair I managed not to snarl and say, "It's made from the hide of kids who damage or never return library books."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there's a little game I like to call "values clarification." You're in a school of 700 or so 5-10 yr olds plus staff. You may have 2 or 3 of the following and you may rotate which items you have but you may never have all 4 at the same time: functional plumbing, hand soap, paper towels, and toilet paper. Choose wisely...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, Isaac came to me asking for $50 to buy a new box of contact lenses.  I asked what happened to his money.  He said he had enough but didn't want to spend it.  Incredulous, I asked how much he brings home a week (from two part time jobs).  He quoted a figure and I countered letting him know I bring home less than half of that.  He said that was impossible.  I pulled out a pay stub.  Then he asked why on earth I still work there.


11 comments:

Craig said...

You could get a tattoo on yer jacket, just to drive the point home. . . ;)

Give me functional plumbing, and either TP or paper towels. If I get a third item, hand soap. . .

When our funds became tight a few years back, we told our kids that they would have to come up with the fees for their own driver's ed, and if they wanted a license, they should be prepared to pay for their own insurance. Made the world look like a whole different place. . .

stephen Hayes said...

My wife is constantly buying our 35 year old son things, and he makes twice the money we do.

Hilary said...

Eavesdropping in your world is fun. I do hate to think of that kidlet as so stressed all the time. That tugs at the heart.

It would seem that Issac is now seeing more clearly - even without the contacts.

Jocelyn said...

I want you to post these kinds of nuggets every day! Just quick slices of your world that tell EVERYTHING.

So I guess Isaac isn't going to pursue a degree in library science, eh?

Tabor said...

I think I have fallen in love with you...in a celibacy way. I wish I could send a huge bouquet of flowers or a special book to thank you for all your do!!

Secret Agent Woman said...

That kid was right - libraries really should be sanctuaries. I have any fond memories of being in a quiet library choosing books (without stress!) or curled up, reading.

Kat said...

The stressed out kid actually makes me laugh. Reminds me of my oldest. He stresses out over the silliest things (though I don't think he ever stressed about picking a book). I think it is more dramatics.

I love a quiet library too. :)

Suldog said...

I love the "real library" kid. That was one of the things I always found so wonderful about my local library when I was young - that it was so quiet and relaxing.

I'd tell that kid that your leather jacket is made up of kids who talk too much, then wait to see if he spreads the story around. It might help.

Commander Zaius said...

...never have all 4 at the same time: functional plumbing, hand soap, paper towels, and toilet paper.

I'd just stick with functional plumbing and bring the rest from home.

As far as kids and money, Evan, my college dorm living son, came home a few weeks ago and cleaned out all the snacks in the house and took back up to Clemson. Called him on the phone to ask where had all his monthly money went to cover such things. He said he and his cohorts had a pizza party during a study lab.

Couldn't argue too much although I wanted to, but I'm going back to hiding everything again.

It's.a.crazy.world said...


Functional plumbing...please.
My youngest son was complaining about his pay, I told him how much I make & he asked me the same thing Isaac asked you! Lol. Really? Kids today...ha ha

Unknown said...

So I guess Isaac isn't going to pursue a degree in library science, eh?


หนังใหม่