Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend Recap

Back when Isaac first got out of his cast and was able to play his first basebal game of the season I shared about his glory moment when he made a play at first base and saved the game for his team. This Saturday it was another boy's turn. Aaron was on our team last year and his parents requested Mr. Lim e as his coach again this year. Aaron is a very small kid, moderately retarded, and mute. He is a sweet kid and he LIVES baseball. The other kids on the team are all completely accepting of him and one of the coaches has worked all season with Aaron to help his batting. He's a decent fielder but generally strikes out at bat. Saturday we had bases loaded and 2 outs, Aaron was up. He had a couple strikes and then he cracked one hard to get a double and bring home 2 runners. I think he floated to 2nd base. Like I said for Isaac, every kid should get a glory moment. It was so great to see the whole team and all the coaches and parents enjoy Aaron's glory moment as much as he did.

We also survived a sleepover (allnighter is more like it) of 6 13 year old girls. Calypso and her giggly gaggle of girlfriends all seemed to have a great time. And let me say, if you think a bunch of skinny girls don't eat much you are sadly mistaken. It was like a swarm of locusts moving through the stockpile of food I had for them! They all seemed to get along fine with no drama too, which was another concern.

Big sister, Diana, however provided for that. She was utterly appalled by the mess left behind and went scurrying around picking up after them and complaining. 'Look at this! Hershey bar wrappers, half eaten smores, all the smore forks, open graham cracker box all left laying by the fire pit! What pigs! I was never like this!' Then she had a fit when I started laughing at the absurdity of her comments.

Sunday was my family reunion. I look forward to this every year because it's the one time of the year when I get to see certain family members who live far away. The last four years it has been on Father's Day though and I'm not sure how much longer Mr. Lime will tolerate attending if that continues. I appreciate that he goes but he pretty much sits away from the group and refuses to interact with anyone. I'm open to advice.

Have a great day everyone.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good for Aaron!!! Sounds like a great team!

Sleepover huh?? I have a hard enough time with the three I have nevermind more.

As for Mr. Lime - gggrrr - I say leave his ass home next year - Happy Father's Day honey!

Last summer, I had to go to Mr. Snavy's family reunion sans Mr. Snavy! Boy was that super-cool-neato fun!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE to watch those kids have their moment of glory!!

Gary said...

I understand why those girls were eating so many sugary snacks. They had to keep their energy level at a fever pitch. :)

As for Mr. Lime, I think you should probably just give him a pass on this one. Nobody's perfect.

lecram sinun said...

Have to say the Aaron story brought a happy lump to my throat. :)

Sounds like a fun weekend at lime central.

As for Mr. Lime... I sorta relate. My ex is filipina and at clan gatherings - at first I tried to interact with one or two... but soon "family speak" kicked in and I was in the corner nursing a drink. Never resented it (besides, the food was great) but clans and families do have their own language and touchstones that do tend to alienate "outsiders."

lime said...

snavy, your turn is coming!

steve, it's great isn't it?

gary, yes on the energy thing! lol. and you're right no one is perfect.

lecram, i can appreciate the alienating clanspeak. that's a good point.

Fred said...

Let him sit. If that makes him happy, why bother making a fuss?

Logophile said...

Let the man go golfing while you go see the fam.
And YAY Isaac and Aaron!
That is so great.

Anonymous said...

Good for him! It is so great to see the joy on a kids face when he has that winning moment. Glad you survived the all-nighter. Thanks for stopping by today babe. It is always appreciated. Have a great day gal.
tg

Moosekahl said...

Sounds exhausting but all those things are a "good" exhausting. Hope you can relax a bit this week.

S said...

Limes, I dont go to Florida with Gary...his father drives me outa my mind...Gary takes Little Rita and they visit "grandpa", I get to stay home...everyone is happy...


Let him stay home next year!

(M)ary said...

Go Aaron! What a great story. Good for the coaches who worked with him to help him with his game.(-:

Phain said...

The Girl has befriended a special needs boy that has been in her class at school the past two years. She simply adores him and it tugs so hard at my heart to see them together. We went to his parents' place of business one day to see if "Luke" was there (he was not) but all the shop girls were like, "oh this is ######, Luke talks about her ALLLLLL the time." Made this Momma proud.

CozyMama said...

you o so brave to have sleepover with 13 yr olds!!! WHEW!!!!

Breazy said...

Today must be the day for baseball posts. I posted about my sons game tuesday night and added pics taken by a pro. photographer , if you have time check them out ! I wished I could have saw the game you posted about . How exciting !

Kelly said...

That's awesome, I am glad he got that momment.