Tuesday, March 04, 2008

While I Was Gone...

Rose Michelle tagged me with the ubiquitous Random/Weird/Bizarre Things About Myself Meme. We share a name, a passion for chocolate, and she said really nice things about me, plus I like the girl so I can't refuse her. But I am warning anyone else who thinks I can be swayed by flattery in the attempt to get me to do this particular meme one more time after this...It ain't gonna happen unless the flattery involves a significant deposit into my bank account and being slowly and thoroughly oiled up by the masseur of my choice while simultaneously being fed the finest chocolates.

I think her version requires 7 factoids so, starting with something chocolate, here goes...


*image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/azbeachbum/20413660/

1. When I was 6 I went to Hershey Park with my mom, my brother, and my grandparents. I got separated from everyone and became quite hysterical because I was convinced I'd never see anyone in my family for the rest of my life.

2. In spite of that traumatic experience, sometime during 2008 I am hoping to go the the Spa at Hotel Hershey with my best friend, Gwennie so we can celebrate our 40th birthdays being pampered in chocolate together. It's kinda pricey and we are both rather broke so it may or may not happen.

3. Mr. Lime's grandfather worked in the Hershey Factory most of his life. I am considered a heretic for preferring the flavor of Nestle's chocolate syrup to Herhsey's.

4. I pronounce the word syrup as SEARup. Mr. Lime and his family say SIRup. I consider them heretics.

5. Since I grew up near Philadelphia I used to pronounce the word water as WOODer. It's a local inflection I have been cured of though years of browbeating. Yes, I realize it sounds ridiculous to anyone outside southeast Pennsylvania but if you've ever seen or tasted the Schuylkill River you might understand why we don't call it WAHter. By the way, the correct pronunciation for the name of the river is Skookle.

6. There is also a road in the vicinity of Philadelphia called the Schuylkill Expressway. I have memories of my mother driving there with a white knuckled grip on the steering wheel trying to figure out how to get us to the Jersey Shore when I was a kid. Both the river and the road are sometimes referred to as "The Surekill."

7. While I am on my Philly kick....I believe sandwiches consisting of lettuce, tomato, onion, cold cuts, cheese and some sort of dressing on a long, hard roll should always be referred to as HOAGIES. They are not subs. A sub is a ocean going vessel that spends long periods of time completely submerged. They are not heroes. Heroes are people who engage in brave and selfless acts for the well being of others. Heroes can even be found on subs. The sandwich is called a H-O-A-G-I-E! That is, unless it is a cheesesteak, in which case I believe if you have to qualify the thing as a PHILLY cheesesteak it is obviously a poor imitation not worth even considering.


*image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmliu/521276026/



What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

The Northeast

The Midland

The South

The Inland North

Boston

The West

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

As a point of clarification for the folks born and bred on the West coast of the USA....all Easterners do not sound like they come from New York or Boston.

21 comments:

Casdok said...

Apprenlty i come from New York! And i say Sirup!!

SignGurl said...

As I suspected!

our Result: The Inland North


You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."


Fits me to a tee.

James Goodman said...

lol, the accent thing cracks me up. In Delaware (where I was born) water is closer to woodter. There is most often a slight hint of the "T", but well... you get the picture. :D

Suldog said...

Lime:

I don't generally like to flog my own post (ugh, that sounds very Freudian) on someone else's blog, but considering your content, I thought you might enjoy this (and the two sequels, if you have time):

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2008
/02/honeymoon-of-millennium.html

Jim

Anonymous said...

Ah diddent knowed there wernt nuttin but soppinsirup!

furiousBall said...

Wow, that cheesesteak looked good.

Schuylkill is one of the hardest words to spell when you hear it. I also grew up around Philly (South Jersey).

Cheesy said...

Gawd I miss Jersey/Philly food!

Anonymous said...

What about Grinder???? I never heard that until I lived in central PA. As for drinking from the Surekill...I'll bring my knife and fork...

lime said...

cooper, i KNEW someone would ask about a grinder. that is an acceptable term for hoagies that have been grilled or heated in an oven. ;)

Charles said...

Your number one reminds me of the second day riding the school bus after moving(I think I was five,) when I busted out crying, because I didn't remember where my stop was. Donald Warner, who would later become my best friend, said he knew (he lived down the street from me) and helped me. Bless you, Donald, wherever you are.

Charles said...

BTW, we call 'em sandwiches.

KFarmer said...

My friend Cat from Long Island calls them grinders too~

Me? Samitch (pronounced sam itch. As in gimme a samitch~ Kidding, just kidding, not really.... ;)

I don't even have to go to that voice thingy, I knows what I sound like~ a mush mouth :)

S said...

Surrup.

But Mr Ratburn says seerup.

San said...

There's something rotten in the state of Quizland. I, who hail from Alabama, married a Midwesterner, lived in California for 11 years, then Santa Fe for another 15, came out a Northeasterner???

I do love chocolate. And I do say "seerup." And I do like cheesesteak. But why did you leave out po' boys?

GREAT POST. Glad you're back from Florida and lived to keep telling stories, Lime.

Commander Zaius said...

Is Mr. Lime from the south? We say it the same way.

Jocelyn said...

I guess I don't understand the problem in #1...so you got lost in a chocolate factory, and that caused panic?

What's wrong with you?

Breazy said...

First of all I am glad you faired better than you thought with your MIL. I am also glad that you are back home.

I pronounce it SEARup as well.
I call them hoagies too.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

3. No way! You're kidding, right? Nestle is too sweet and doesn't taste like a real chocolate. Hersheys has a much richer taste.

4. I do too.

Mona said...

I never got separated, but I ran away from my pre-school when I was less than three years old, following some lady who looked like my mom from behind. Then I lost her & ran back home crying all the way. It was a wonder I reached home safely as it was a god three miles from where I ran!

I feel Hershey are better, although some variety of Nestle are really good. I used to like Quality Street from Nestle when I was small. I loved Cadbury's . But later I lost all interest in Chocolates , although I never ate too many!

~Tim said...

I just posted my results from this quiz.

Joeprah said...

Growing up just outside of Baltimore I have some similar tendencies with the accent. I have been known to revert back to wooder and my dad says i-d-er instead of idea. Searup, thats correct right? Do you happen to listen to wxpn where you live? I love that channel and I catch my affiliate of it down here in the Baltimore area when it comes in clear enough. Peace!