Thursday, January 28, 2010

Slice of Lime-Tacky Tourist

Remember this little number I threw together as a last minute Halloween costume?
Yeah, ok, so that was just a costume.
Today I present you the real deal courtesy all those slides I scanned at Mom's last weekend.

Here I am in all my hideous, touristy geekdom during my first trip to Trinidad in 1989.



Seriously, could those sunglasses possibly be any bigger?
We're not even going to mention the blouse.
Someone get this girl some tie dye, stat!

In case you're curious, those things I am holding are a fruit called chennette. Groovy little things. You crack the skin open with your teeth and pop out a seed nearly as big as the skin but which is covered by a slimy film of fruit. Suck the pit clean and spit the it in the street. It all sounds kinda gross but the things are yummy with a faintly grape-ish taste to them.

18 comments:

G-Man said...

Suck and spit?...Never Mind.

Love the blouse...Seems a little empty.

~Dragonfly~* said...

I hear ya G-man... got my attention too!!!

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton wants her shades back!!! :)

Cricket said...

Love the label "don't hate me because I'm beautiful." Ha. I once saw a comedian riff on that old ad saying: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful? Oh, I don't hate you because you're beautiful.

we love you, though.

choochoo said...

oh, I had sunglasses like that once upon a time too. They made me feel all kinds of funky. Now they'd make me feel funky in a whoooole other way. lol.

And...uhm..my word verification today is "rearme"???????

Commander Zaius said...

chennette? Sounds good but I'll wait for the fruit roll-up flavor.

Craig said...

See now, tie-dyeing that prim little cotton blouse would be all kinds of wonderful. . .

As we progress thru our lives, photos like this serve the purpose of proving to our kids that we were actually that young, once upon a time. . .

;)

S said...

spit it in the street! What fun!

LOL @ Gman.

Craver Vii said...

How are we supposed to know that it's you and not Calypso if you don't wear tie-dye? I fixed it so I could recognize you, but now I have multiple colors from highlighters smack-dab in the middle of my computer screen.

I got a kick out of that banner:
Grand (blank) sale.

Logophile said...

Awwwa, you were a cute little tourist.
That blouse, though, you ain't kidding!

Bijoux said...

I don't even want to think about my glasses and clothes in 1989. The fruit sounds interesting!

Hilary said...

Aww but look how cute you are.

Suldog said...

I would be the last one to make fun of your sunglasses. I once owned mirrored aviators.

EmBee said...

Craver's right... That's Calypso!

ttfootball said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ttfootball said...

Gyul that shades and top is really a hot mess but at least yuh looking happy =)

and since when chennette have a grape-ish taste?

unfortunately now i feelin for channette...

Anonymous said...

G-man's got it covered...

RennyBA's Terella said...

Looking at this, I was dreaming of going to Trinidad with you as I imagine you as a perfect guide you know :-)

Jocelyn said...

Chennette! You taught me something!

Plus, you're adorable, so lay off yourself.