Sunday, December 26, 2010

A New Holiday

December 26

For those of British extraction or who are part of the commonwealth, it is Boxing Day, a day originally when household servants had off and gifts were given to the less fortunate.*

Among African-Americans, especially in the Northeast, it's Kwanzaa.*

According to the sitcom Seinfeld, it's Festivus...for the rest of us, time for the airing of grievances and feats of strength.*

For me, after the massive baking blitz (40 dozen cookies, 4 funny cakes, a pound cake, and a baked pineapple), the traveling, and the return in snow, it was a day to cocoon in my favorite blanket by the fire as I alternated between watching movies, eating leftovers, and napping.

Hibernation Day it is.

*All facts have been unsubstantiated by even 10 seconds of a Google search because today I just can't be bothered with even that level of effort.   Be glad you got a post at all....or not.  It's up to you.

11 comments:

Hilary said...

I chose glad.. lest I air my grievances whilst decorating the Festivus pole. Keep warm and enjoy. :)

Commander Zaius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Commander Zaius said...

Yeah, we pretty much did the same thing and watched movies all weekend after the opening of presents and cooking was over. My wife got "The Mummy" trilogy and a couple of seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer while I was able to wedge Terminator: Salvation and Inception into the viewing roster.

Word of warning, don't mix red wine and Inception. The movie is already too convoluted and with a buzz going its almost like an acid trip.

G-Man said...

No Cookies for ME!

Mother Theresa said...

Taking advantage of a temporary lapse in the no-internetness of my parents-in-law's house to visit some of my favorite blogs. Our 26th was pretty much a hibernation day too...hope you enjoyed yours. Happy Holidays!

(M)ary said...

Happy Hibernation Day! And Merry Belated Christmas.

I laid low on Dec 26 too but mostly because my cold came back in full force. I did get a snuggie on Christmas which helped with the hibernation.

Dave said...

Oh gee, thanks anyway for the effort Michelle! :-) Sounds like you enjoyed being you after all of your baking efforts, so good on you! And why not? - Dave

Suldog said...

Hey, I'm just fine with Unwashed Slug Day. Call it whatever you want, so long as I don't have to do anything!

Jocelyn said...

Honey, you deserve about 19 of these in a row...wish you could magically whisk here so that I could pamper you SERÄ°OUSLY!

Rick Rockhill said...

I always need the day after to just sit and stare at the fireplace and zone out. I read a book for four hours straight just to relax!

Craig said...

Well, since we do most all of the 'Christmas stuff' the night before, Christmas Day itself is kinda 'laid-back family time' for us. . .

We spent the 26th (the Feast of St. Stephen, in our tradition) (which might ring a bell or two from 'Good King Wenceslas'; or not) driving down to Chicago to spend a couple days with my folks, which was good. . .