1. A speaker who seemed to enjoy introducing hot button topics not to encourage discussion but in order to bludgeon with her opinion.
2. Having to get up early.
3. The same undercurrent of Stepford Wife attitudes that drove me away years ago.
1. Not having to clean up after anyone but myself.
2. Having time for some really excellent and deep conversations with "Thelma."
3. Not having to cook all weekend or wash a single dish.
4. Not having to be the taxi driver.
5. Having time to think without every thought being interrupted by some urgent demand.
7. Being reminded of some important things.
There were a number of reasons why I didn't want to go. Among them was that it felt like one more demand (to conform) being placed on me and quite honestly, I am weary of that right now with all the pressing needs I have to deal with every day. I didn't have the energy to deal with a crowd of women. I had no desire to be asked all weekend about how things are going with the continuing medical drama in my house even though I know the questions were motivated by care and concern for the most part. Being asked for updates just highlights how many unanswered questions still remain.
All that said, it worked out. I got some rest. I enjoyed time with Thelma. I was given some good food for thought. Oh yeah, I strapped into a harness and flew through the air at 30 mph after Thelma helped hoist me up about 3 stories. No gin was consumed in the execution of that adventure.