Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Da Count-2-D But Showing Great Depth



Some of you know I came to the blog world after spending a few years in Yahoo! Trivia chat rooms.  Once upon a time those rooms were full of witty people who loved to quiz each other. It was an intelligent and civil place where friendships were formed over knowledge of arcane facts.  The first person I got to know there is Susie.  We hit it off pretty quickly.  When the trivia rooms were overrun by bots and skeevy trolls which made the game impossible several of us defected to the blog world and started our own blogs and a joint blog.  Although Susie, Logo, and I are the only ones who still blog from that original crew of eight I'm still glad for the time we spent in the trivia rooms and for the continuing contact.  I figure I've known Susie for close to nine years now.  I could go on at length for the various joys and trials we have known each other through.

I could do the same for several of you who I've known for a long time even if only in a virtual sense.  There is a true friendship and a sense of community that arises when it is cultivated.  My family finds these friendships somewhat hard to understand.  I try to explain it as being akin to a life long pen  pal relationship.  I recall my grandmother having a British pen pal for decades and they were there for each other through early marriage, child-rearing, grandmothering, etc.  No one thought that odd.  But I digress a bit...

I've been blogging five and a half years and have made some truly wonderful friends among you.  I am continually amazed at the friendships that form and the care that people show each other.   I've been so grateful for the care and support that has been shown me in times of trouble over the years and I hope I've been a good friend in return.  Nonetheless, this week I've been completely astonished by a particular outpouring of support that has been given on behalf of Calypso and me with regard to a specific concern.  Folks responded to an effort Susie felt strongly burdened to undertake and it has left me speechless.  It's not something I ever would have asked for or expected in any way and yet here it is.

To those who have cared enough to leave encouraging comments on any of the blog posts where I was pouring my heart out, sent emails expressing concern and best wishes, to those who have prayed or held good thoughts for us, to those who have responded to Susie's request, to Susie for organizing something practical, to each and every one of you who have demonstrated friendship in one of these ways I am truly and deeply grateful.  I count each of you and each act of friendship.  Thank you.

12 comments:

G-Man said...

What are friends for?

G-Man said...

They are for Love, Support, and...
YAHTZEES!!!!!!!

Dave said...

Nice blog Michelle. It shows that you are an appreciative person - one worth caring about. - Dave

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're that friend in the computer, remember?

Juana Aragon said...

I agree with you 100%! I never understood virtual friendship, but it is an amazing thing. I have been blogging for about 14 months. In those months I have found dear friends that have encouraged me through out these tough days of separation,(I'm the U.S and my husband is in Spain working), and I LOVE them!
As a matter of fact I found you commenting on one of their blogs! By the way...your blog is FANTASTIC and your sense of humor out of this world.
Hoping to become a good friend of yours :)
Juana

Craig said...

Well, I'm glad I met you, too. . .

My wife doesn't 'get' the online friendship thing, either - "Haven't you got enough friends in real life?"

(*sigh*)

Bijoux said...

We are glad you are here, Lime. Wishing you and your family a blessed Easter.

Unknown said...

Emaginary friends really do come true. At least, they have in my life. I have been unbelievably blessed to have some efriends become friends in the flesh. Susie sounds like one of those friends for you.

It's been my pleasure to pray for you and Calypso.

((Hugs.))

Craver Vii said...

(hug)

This post speaks as much about you, as it does about your friends.

Shalom.

S said...

Ohhhhhh, hee hee blush blush.
i was telling Keri how you and i met because someone else thought you were me with a different name...hey! Talk about stereotyping hippies and barefooted free spirits!

Who knew that years later we'd be watching each others teens grow up, and watching our
Hair

Get

Really

Greyyyyyyyyyy
Argh!!!!!!!

secret agent woman said...

I guess it's hard for non-bloggers to understand the support of the blog community.

Hilary said...

I've been online a long time.. starting out in IRC trivia rooms. The connections we make with the typed word is genuine and often deeper that "real life" friendships. It's funny how that happens.. but it's wonderful. Hugs to you.