Sunday, March 04, 2012

Overheard at House of Lime

SETTING: Isaac and a friend enter the house and begin a conversation in the foyer.  Lime is in the dining room.  Mr. Lime is in the kitchen.  Both parents are within earshot of the teens.  There is a small box of the cremated remains of Grandpa in the foyer.  Unbeknownst to Lime, in the foyer there is also a large box of ashes from the fireplace.



Isaac's friend: (regarding fireplace remnants) Is that kitty litter?

Isaac: No, those are ashes.

Mr. Lime: (with some level of irritation hinting at Isaac's dereliction of duty) Those were supposed to be dumped in the woods.

Lime: (incredulously) What?! I thought you were taking your dad to Harrisburg next week???

(Dead silence then questioning looks all around the room as Lime comes out to challenge the preposterous expectations.)


Mr. Lime: (flatly) Uh, I was referring to the fireplace ashes I asked Isaac to dump this afternoon.  They're in the foyer.  (suddenly inspired)  However, you're idea might not be such a bad one...

9 comments:

Craig said...

So. . . you made an ash of yourself?

silly rabbit said...

Good times! Some of the funniest comments are made in error.

Anonymous said...

aren't there enough ashes in harrisburg already???

Commander Zaius said...

Told my son to cremate me whenever I kick the bucket. Then take my remains and toss them into the marsh around Pawelys Island, South Carolina.

Its sort of a cycle of life thing with me. I fished and caught enough shrimp out of those marshes the little critters should get some chance to get even.

Anonymous said...

Love it.

I imagine I'll be cremated too. As far as I'm concerned the ashes can be dumped in the garbage.

Mother Theresa said...

I wonder what Grandpa would think about that? ;D

Bijoux said...

I'm not sure I could handle cremation remains in my home....

Principled Slut said...

I've never understood why it matters what happens to me after I am dead. It's not like I will know anyway. So cremate me and scatter my ashes in the woods, and I'll be fine. Or flush 'em if you prefer.

Hilary said...

Too funny. If one digs a hole which to bury person's ashes... does that make it their ash hole?