Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Snow Day

I can never help thinking of you on a snow day. How long ago was that snow day we shared? Nine? Ten years? You were snowed in alone, missing your family. Mine was out playing in the snow but I was stuck inside with crippling back pain. Neither of us was very happy.

We made a connection in spite of the distance.

I listened to your sadness. You listened to my pain. Neither of us wanted to stay in that place and we found a way to laugh...a lot. We shared the good to forget the bad. We made each other's frustration and loneliness melt away far sooner than the snow would that day. In the end you asked me if I knew Lisa Loeb's Snow Day. I didn't. You said I needed to find it and hear it. I did.

You left this world just a couple short years later.  I still think of you, still miss you.  The snow days always get me.  I feel your absence but then I wrap an afghan around my shoulders, settle in on the couch in front of the fire, and watch the snow fall softly as I sip a warm drink and give thanks that we could be each other's medicine on a snow day so long ago.

9 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

What a wonderful tribute.

G-Man said...

(((((TRINI)))))

Commander Zaius said...

Awesome tribute!

Bijoux said...

Hugs!

Daryl said...

i can empathize all too well with this one ...

Kat said...

What a lovely, lovely tribute.

Rob said...

And now, every snow day, I will think of YOU, this song, and the touching tribute to your friend that you shared with us! You always move me with your words. I could be a sapiosexual. Just sayin'...

silly rabbit said...

Very touching. I had never heard this song. Thank you.

Hilary said...

I think many of us has lost dear online friends this way. IRC.. MSN.. Blogging.. connections are made and the loss is painful. Hugs to you, M.