Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Times in the Library

I am a complete book geek and proud of it.  This is a picture of the first brand new book I've catalogued, labeled, and prepped for shelving.  As a kid I loved the crinkle of the cellophane on a library book.  It was part of what made library books special.  I took extra pleasure in being the one to apply the cellophane to a brand new book to help keep it all shiny and new and protected. (told you I was a geek!) The was donated by the author after she visited our school otherwise I would not have had this opportunity since there is no money in the budget for ordering new books. 


This made me giggle when I found it because of a long ago conversation with Isaac. Once when Isaac was a preschooler he was having a hard time putting on his coat.  He wanted very much to be independent and didn't like help unless he specifically requested it.  One day as he spun around like a dog chasing his tail while trying to get the second arm into his coat I gently asked if he wanted to keep trying by himself or if he'd like some help.  He grumbled that it was hard but he'd do it himself before adding, "but I am GLAD I am not an octopus!"


Sometimes when I am shelving books I discover things among the books.  Candy wrappers, old assignments, and forgotten bookmarks are nothing strange.  I was a little surprised though to find a bag of army men stashed in the shelves.








Sometimes, it's really a challenge to remember I am the mature adult.




No, this is not the back cover of the previous book.  Books are often returned with some damage but this one looked like it was used for target practice.  Sometimes I am curious.  Other times I just don't want to know...
Finally, in our little tour of things that make me go hhhmmm, I present this book.  Now, I don't have an issue with the library having books giving information about drugs but this book was published in 1979.  I'm thinking there may be more current information available and written in a better style.  1979?  That's older than some of my students' parents!  Get with the times!

11 comments:

Sailor said...

I always loved, and looked forward to "library times", when I was in grade school- and some of them, I recall, I kept checking out over and over, because I loved them so much.

"We Were There..." books were always a joy, I got to go under the ice on the Nautilus, to the South Pole, all kinds of places.

I don't recall reading about Pot though- of course in '79 I was more interested in first-hand experiences, rather than reading about it... hmmm.

Leave It To Davis said...

It's really sad that there is no money for new library books. I wish I was a millionaire...I would buy you a bunch.

Hilary said...

As usual, you made me laugh. I think that last book might be a fun read though.

Bijoux said...

Awww..Chippy the Chipmunk looks great! I loved it when my kids had a visiting author to their school.

I was a bookworm too....I loved looking under the book cover to see if the hard bound cover was the same or different from the cellophane one. Many times completely different! It was like finding a secret.

Tabor said...

I was also a librarian in a former life and love books and feel sad that we can now download stuff from our local library. It is the smell, the feel, the damage that all make that book come alive.

Anonymous said...

OK, the juxtaposition of the Uranus book and the next one almost made me choke on my tea. I love your sense of humor.

Daryl said...

that book on pot is likely as informational as 'reefer madness' (the original version .. yes, i am that old)

(M)ary said...

Congratulations!!!!! As a fellow book lover I can imagine how cool it is to catalog your first book.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I wonder if whoever named "Let's Explore Uranus" had a wicked sense of humor or was utterly clueless?

Anonymous said...

Illustratioons by Tom HUFF MAN.

Please.

g-man said...

Trini...?
You used to be a Geek?
You do look a bit Mediterranean .
Now go fetch me some Ouzo!!!!