- Trinidad was 'discovered' by Christopher Columbus during his third voyage to the New World. He had decided whatever chunk of land he bumped into would be called Trinidad in honor of the Holy Trinity. When he saw the 3 peaks of the southern range as he neared the island he was sure this was God's way of confirming his plan and blessing his efforts.
- Trinidad was largely ignored and served mainly as an outpost for the search for El Dorado during Spanish rule. It wasn't until the Dutch, British and French started fighting for it that it got tossed around before settling into British rule and became a sugar and rum producing colony which attracted settlers who brought slaves.
- It's one of the few Caribbean islands that still has a tiny population descended from indigenous peoples.
- It's an island that is only 55 miles by 35 miles but the population centers are not terribly close to the beaches so plan on a long, albeit scenic, drive to get to a beach.
- Trinidad is world famous for its birdwatching and for the variety of butterfly species.
- The population of those descended from Africans and those descended from East Indians is roughly equal, which gives it a distinctive cultural flare that is decidedly different from the other islands, including its sister island of Tobago, which is almost entirely African.
- It has the world's largest natural asphalt deposit called Pitch Lake in the south of the island.
- It also has large oil and natural gas deposits and used to be called the Kuwait of the Caribbean.
- It's national bird, the scarlet ibis, migrates back and forth between Trinidad and Venezuela each day.
- Miss Universe 1998 was Wendy Fitzwilliams of Trinidad & Tobago.
- Recipients of the Noble Prize for Literature, V.S. Naipaul and Derek Williams, (who was born in St. Lucia but spent large portions of his life in Trinidad, founded the Trinidad Theatre Workshop and continues to promote arts on the island, thus is considered a native son) are from Trinidad.
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar's parents are Trinidadian (bonus fact, his given name is Lew Alcindor)
- Alfonso Ribiera, the dweeby kid from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, also has Trinidadian parents.
- Trinidad is the birthplace of steelpans, calypso music, and the limbo.
- Though I've never researched it to confirm it the truth of the claim, Trinis are fond of boasting they have more public holidays than any other nation on Earth.
Happy Trini Tuesday!
*This stuff is accurate as far as I know. The only research I did was to check what year we had Miss Universe. Use of this TriniTuesday may lead to hair loss, halitosis, widening of the ass, sinus infection, smelly feet, and and motor tics. Erections lasting longer than 4 hours require my attention. Do not use if you are pregnant or hoping to make me pregnant. A simple blood test and credit check will determine your suitability.