Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We Come in Peace, Take Us to Your Butcher

Last week I outed myself for a whole day of really dumb things I either said or did.  This week it's Mr. Lime's turn because really, I could not make this up.

As the whole family was in the car the topic of various sorts of dietary restrictions came up.  Mr. Lime asked for clarification on what made a vegan different from a vegetarian.  I explained that some vegetarians will continue to eat some foods from animal sources, like eggs or dairy products, some might even eat fish, however strict vegans won't eat anything animal related at all.  Some even go so far as to refuse honey.  We then had the following conversation.

Him: Well, I never even heard of vegans until a couple years ago.  I thought they were people who believed they were from Venus or some other planet.

Me: (blinking incredulously)  You're kidding me, right?

Him:  No.  I offered some lady at work something to eat and she said, "Oh , I can't eat that.  I'm a vegan."  So I told her I was an Earthling and we're allowed to eat it on our planet.

Me: (in between guffaws) so it was, "Welcome to Earth, here's a steak?"  You really have to be kidding me.

Him:  Nope.  I had no idea.

Me: (snickering) Your attempt at interplanetary diplomacy is...um...amusing if not entirely successful.

Him: (nodding with a self satisfied grin)

22 comments:

G-Man said...

Ahhhhhh
Family interaction, isn't it the best?

G-Man said...

Next to0 family YAHTZEE!!!!

snowelf said...

I heart mr lime.
Your family is such a hoot. oh my goodness...

--snow

Hilary said...

Snort. Has he met Lady Gaga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suEVLt1bB_c&feature=related

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Why is it that car conversations are mad? I love listening to my great grandchildren talking to each other in the back of the car. They are crazy.

Bijoux said...

LOL - that's funny, Lime. My husband had no idea what a vegan was until a few years ago when I explained it to him. He's probably forgotten by now!

Anonymous said...

If a Vegan isn't from Venus, what are the inhabitants of Venus called?

Craig said...

Well, I keep thinking of that old Star Trek flick and 'V-ger'. . .

Honestly, I don't remember when I first heard the word 'vegan'. But back in my college days it wasn't around; there were just different 'orders' of vegetarians. . .

And then there's 'traditional' Catholics, who could be classified as 'Friday vegetarians'. . . Some of my Orthodox friends could qualify as 'Lenten vegetarians' (including milk and eggs); 'course, those same folks, if they observe the strict Lenten fast, should never have children with birthdays between November and January. . . ;)

Craig said...

And, just in case anybody cares, people from Venus would be called 'Venusians'.

As distinct from 'Venetians', who are from Venice (not all of whom are blind, btw). . .

Or 'Victorians', who are 19th-century British people (or, I suppose, folks from a southeastern Australian state; or maybe, folks from the capital city of British Columbia). . .

Anonymous said...

klaatu barada nikto....

Bubba said...

I've got no problem with people choosing to eat or not eat whatever they wish.

But if you get between me and my bacon, we're gonna have trouble!

(Dang, now I'm hungry!)

Kat said...

HAHAHA!!! I thought my hubby was the only one! A couple of years ago I mentioned that our vegetarian friend had attempted to be a vegan for a while and he looked at me like I was nuts. I said, "Do you know what a vegan is?" He said, "Uh, no. It sounds like some kind of alien or something." Heh heh heh.
Funny.

Logophile said...

Star Trek damage,
it's sad really,
and irreversible.

Craig said...

Altho, now that I think of it. . . 'Vegan' could be someone from the bright star Vega, in the constellation Lyra (or any hypothetical planets it may or may not have), so, you know, the hubs could be onto something. . .

And LOL @ coopernicus. . .

clean and crazy said...

that really is goofy, something my honey would say

secret agent woman said...

I've been to retreats where the diet was vegan, and thankfully the center had really good cooks. But it is a hard diet to navigate out in the rest of the world - not many options on the menu. Vegetarians have an easier time, but my way (pesca-vegtarian) allows many choices.

(M)ary said...

So are Megans from the planet Mercury?

S said...

LOL Too funny!
Your husband could make his own urban dictionary

freak in the box, etc...

The Teacup Cottage said...

That is too funny! I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your house ... as long as you don't squash me.

Anonymous said...

I've just been back to read the three posts I missed and you know what...[I know the vernacular] You Rock Lady. Messy house, Hampster pie for Pythons, potato grower extrordinaire...I salute you.

Ananda girl said...

You folk must laugh often. I like his response to the vegan comment very much.

Jocelyn said...

I'm pretty sure they don't mentıon vegans on MARRIED WITH CHILDREN, whıch ıs probably why he had no ıdea.