Secret Agent Woman decided life is too short to wear ugly underwear as well as a few other things. I liked reading her list so I thought I'd generate my own (though there may be some crossover).
LIFE IS TOO SHORT...
1. To wear uncomfortable underwear: There was some debate as to what constituted ugly underwear with a great many folks opining in favor of thongs. I floss my teeth, not my rear-end. I think thongs are miserably uncomfortable and feel like a perpetual wedgie. I wear undies that cover my butt or I go commando.
2. To eat crappy chocolate: Some folks turn up their noses at Hershey's. I'm not that big of a snob but the nasty, waxy, no name, super sweet, cheapo chocolate that is sold at about $1 a half ton in appropriate seasonal wrappers for various holidays is just not worth it.
3. To fail to tell people you love them: Really, it is. Not to be macabre, but you don't know when you say goodbye to someone if it will be the last time you speak or not. If you love someone tell them and show them...often.
4. To spend time watching "Reality TV": Seriously, go out and live your own life rather than watching a bunch of spray tanned bimbos and jerks jumping in and out of bed in drunken hazes.
5. To be a meticulous housekeeper: I like my mom's motto. "Clean enough to live in, dirty enough to be happy." I can't live in filth and complete disorder but I'm not going to drive myself insane making sure the place is clean enough for surgery and looks ready for a House Beautiful photo shoot.
6. To wear uncomfortable shoes: Sorry, I don't care how great a pair of heels make my calves look. If they make my lower back feel like I'm 85 years old the calf effect ain't worth it. And if they squeeze my feet or slop around on my feet I'm not interested in them even if they are flats.
7. To plod through a book I hate: It used to be all but impossible for me to not finish a book I started but wasn't enjoying. I felt guilty. Not any more. There are too many books I really want to read and if the one I am in the middle of truly stinks, forget it...I'm putting it down and moving on.
8. To not play: Yes, we have to work. We have to be responsible. We also need to cultivate some exuberance and joy. We need it to recharge our batteries. Keep crayons and a coloring book or doodle pad at your desk. Play shadow tag on a walk with the kids in your life. Start a snowball fight. Play on the swingset. Skip. Have you veer seen an unhappy person skip? I bet not. The two states are incongruous. I think the next time I get in a bad mood I may try skipping just to see if it works as a cure. I bet it will.
9. To worry about whether or not people think I'm nuts for skipping around: See above. It's also too short to worry about the opinions of others in general where it concerns matters of personal taste. If it causes no harm then why get uptight about it. See also, posts on whether or not I should dye my hair.
10. To stop learning: There's so much out there to know. Aren't you curious about it all? It's sort of amazing. I always want to know more. The one massage therapist at work says I'm her only patient who consistently wants to know the names of the muscles she is poking on. (She doesn't have to know it's so I can more accurately poke the voodoo doll...just kidding...sort of). I like non-fiction books. I like trivia. I like seeing how it all fits together. the world is endlessly fascinating.
So now I want to know, what do YOU think life is too short for?