Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Blog: The Musical

My mother-in-law is visiting this week so I may or may not be posting and commenting a lot.  Who knows?  This afternoon she and Calypso watched My Fair Lady together.  Mr. Lime declared it an awful movie due to the singing.  MIL said she wishes all movies were musicals.  Of course, this made my mind immediately jump to the absurd and I suggested Jaws: The Musical and began singing from the point of view of the fish.  Calypso followed with Schindler's List: The Musical.  I suggested a song to the tune of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (He's making a list and checking it twice....Yes, I think I just reserved a seat in hell for myself.)  Then the entire family needed to riff on the theme with their own musical remakes.

Other suggestions included:

Saving Private Ryan
The Godfather (singing, "I'm gonna wash that horse blood outta my sheets...")
Dirty Harry (singing, "I feel lucky, oh so lucky. I feel lucky and ducky and gay and I pity any punk who isn't me todaaaay....")
Titanic
The Mummy

Now it's your turn to prove our family isn't the only demented crew around here.  Give me the mist unlikely movies to be remade into musicals and/or some song lyrics to start with.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Porky's
To Kill A Mockingbird
Caddyshack
Nightmare on Elm Street
I Spit On Your Grave
Pulp Fiction
Hello Dolly (I've seen Hello Dolly...and I did not hear anything I would consider music. Try again, please)

Craig said...

Well, I've always been fond of Springtime for Hitler. . .

Seriously? My Fair Lady is awful because of the singing? That's, uh, kinda the whole point of that show. . . Sheesh. Keep him away from The Sound of Music. . .

Of course, any suitably disgusting and/or depressing flick would be a singularly inapt musical. Like

The Killing Fields
Goodfellas
Ordinary People
Friday the 13th
Carrie

or any of the Toxic Avenger flicks

I'm thinking of a song from Independence Day: the Musical (to the tune of Pinball Wizard) -

"Welcome to the Earth, I guess we all know why you're here. . ."

silly rabbit said...

Let's see...
Frankenweenie ( a short must see for fans of the absurd!)
The Terminator
The Big Lebowski
Harold and Maud
Night of the Living Dead

Yeah... singing and dancing zombies!

Anonymous said...

OMG...how could I forget...
Freaks!!!!

Commander Zaius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Commander Zaius said...

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, The musical

Khan-to the beat of Billy Ocean's Caribbean queen: "The Klingons say revenge is a dish best served cold and Jim Kirk I have left marooned on a dead world"

Jim Kirk: Now first I have to ask the question do you really want to even imagine Will Shatner singing?

Suldog said...

I say Les Miserable. Could you imagine?

What?!? They did make a musical of it? And it was a huge hit? Cut the shit.

Wait, wait. You're not kidding? OK, then, I say we make one out of Johnny Got His Gun, by Dalton Trumbo.

(No, I won't put any of my lyrics here. If Les Mis could be a hit musical, I'm not sharing this stuff with anyone until I get it on stage.)

silly rabbit said...

Ooops! I had a thought about listing Night of the Living Dead...
Michael Jackson beat me to it with the singing and dancing zombies.
Lordy, I never thought I'd ever think anything like Michael Jackson!

PS- Love the human calendar!

Cricket said...

In line with Suldog's thinking, how about Oliver as a pretty improbable choice?

There was a Boston DJ who used to do fake ads for things like this. The only one I remember clearly was Annie Frank: The Musical.

It's a hard-knock life for us,
It's a hard-knock life for us...


I'm not throwing that out there. That was in the fake ad. Yikes. Somehow, there was not a s***storm in reaction to it. Not that I heard of anyway. Don't know how he got away with that one.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget the classics...
Gone With The Wind
On The Waterfront
Un Chien Andalou
Attack of The Crab Monsters

Craig said...

Oo! Oo!

Psycho
Silence of the Lambs
Beautiful Mind


(films about mental illness just make you wanna break out in song, don't they?)

G-Man said...

I'm brain Dead

Bijoux said...

Pretty much any Johnny Depp movie would make a fantastic musical....