Thursday, October 18, 2012

Friday 55 & Da Count-Challenge Day

 FRIDAY 55

If you really knew me you'd know
I struggle every day not to make myself vomit.
I cry myself to sleep since my aunt died.
I hate being at home because of the fights.
I'm afraid of failure.38

Here you are safe,
affirmed,
celebrated.

You are challenged to be the change 
you wish to see.





DA COUNT

This week I was honored to be an adult volunteer at a Challenge Day at a high school in New Jersey.  It was a truly amazing experience.  I watched walls come down between adults and teens.  I saw people being authentic and vulnerable.  I witnessed responses of compassion, affirmation, and reconciliation.  I was deeply impressed with the quality of the program, the skill of the trainers from the organization, the level of participation from everyone involved, and the response from so many of the participants.  I'd highly encourage anyone who has the opportunity to volunteer to do so.  Walls come down, bridges are built.  Respect and peace are promoted with great effectiveness.  Please take some time to watch the video and explore the link.

21 comments:

Brian Miller said...

it is really cool to see the generations coming together...kids need adults in their lives and vice versa as well....that is a beautiful thing to celebrate....

stephen Hayes said...

I'll be sure to check out this video. Thanks.

Margaret said...

HANDS DOWN! MTV finally and truly Rocks. This program (and video) left me very, very moved.

G-Man said...

Loved your 55 Trini.
You always have an outstanding contribution.
Your COUNT was COOL
Thanks for playing, thanks for your wonderful Heart, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Anonymous said...

It's like a giant Breakfast Club. Great idea. Outstanding that you got to be part of it.

Unknown said...

Wow...so nice to see such and outstanding movement and you did an incredible and invaluable job!! Awesome 55! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Mine is here
Have you a TRULY BLESSED WEEKEND!!!
hugs
shakira

Commander Zaius said...

Nice to hear about some good news.

Bijoux said...

Wow! How did you get to participate? I saw something about this on MTV last year and thought it was a really cool thing. Glad it wasn't a one time event.

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's really great!

izzy said...

Really listening is so important! thanks for your contribution-I appreciate it -

Suldog said...

Anything in which you participated would automatically have more of the good adjectives you used :-)

Very nice. It's always heartening to see the divide between any peoples come apart, and to see young and old come together more fully is great.

Daryl said...

cannot think of a better way to get involved ... volunteering is da bomb as da kids say ... they still say that don't they?

Craig said...

Tearing down walls, building bridges, respect. . . good, good stuff. Us hyoomin beans is made to be connected to one another. . .

One of my sons' cooler experiences was being on a very, um, diverse football team in HS, where the kids from all manner of racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds were all pulling toward a common goal (and there's just something delicious about hearing the black kids telling 4M, "You a n**** just like us; you just a white n****. . .")

happygirl said...

This 55 was raw. I cannot imagine that kind of pain. I will watch the video. Thanks for writing. You are amazing.

Kat said...

So, so good. Love it. We need more of this.

Mona said...

The 55ve is touching. Public meets can be therapeutic.

Other Mary said...

A moving 55, and what a wonderful message. Thanks for volunteering.

PattiKen said...

Wow, what an experience that must have been. Not being an MTV watcher, Ive never heard of Challenge Day. It sounds like a wonderful idea.

lecram sinun said...

A great count... any thing to promote respect and peace. :)

Dave said...

Glad you enjoyed it Michelle. Unfortunately the video isn't available here in NZ - Dave

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.