Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fat Tuesday

Long-time readers know I am devoted to the notion of Fastnachts for Fat Tuesday.  This year I made them the night before since I have to be on the road by 7am.  I was not about to get up at 3am to make them.  The one year I got up at the butt-crack of dawn to make fastnachts they did not turn out well.

This year a big bag of fresh, greasy fastnachts to share with coworkers helped grease the social machinery though.  It's been hard to get to know folks at work since my time is split between two large buildings and communication is somewhat lacking.  Three of the teachers in close proximity to the library have been kind and supportive so I shared with them and with the crew of ladies I am a part of who gets to do cafeteria duty every morning.  We have to herd 600 kids through breakfast in half an hour...no easy task...and generally thankless....not to mention rather revolting at times.  Fastnachts for all the ladies seemed to be an appreciated little treat during that duty. I've appreciated the ones who have been kind to me.

I had to giggle when on of the cafeteria ladies who speaks very little English came chattering at me animatedly in Spanish.  One of the other ladies asked me if I understood what she was saying.  I said more or less that I was getting that she thought they were rich and yummy and even though I offered sugar to shake them in she was happy without it.  The one who would translate smiled and gave me the thumbs up.  Food bridges language barriers pretty nicely sometimes.

Later in the day I had a young student come to me and say in halting English that he had a Valentine for me.  It was a little package of conversation hearts.  Well, shucks....then it was time for me to be surprised.


13 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Yes, food bridges all differences. I worked in the school cafeteria and we had a woman from Mexico who was working with a green card. She didn't speak a word of English, but the two of us would hold up food items and tell each other what the word for that particular food...and I learned from her and she learned from me...and we laughed a lot...which also bridges barriers. That was so nice of the kid to give you a box of conversation hearts...guess food bridges AGE barriers, too!

stephen Hayes said...

How sweet that this student had a Valentine for you.

Bijoux said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bijoux said...

What a special treat for all!

Tabor said...

600 in an hour. When will we add 15 minutes to the lunch hour for children. It is all about balance. Take it from a different subject each day. Glad you shared and they shared. Sounds like you are in good company.

Kat said...

Aww. That is so nice.
See? Food brings people together. :)

g-man said...

I'm glad you remembered the right day, I wasn't so lucky!

Jocelyn said...

I love reading about every single work interaction you're having, right down to "no sugar" communicated without words and conversation hearts saying more than the words writ upon them.

Daryl said...

do you not want to say thank you to that asshat who fired you for helping you get to where you clearly belong? yeah, i didnt think so but in a way he is responsible ...

(M)ary said...

Politically Correct name for Fat Tuesday: Weight Challenged Day
....
A valentine from a student....that is incredibly sweet. Could your husband even compete with that????

Hilary said...

Food is one of the universal languages.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Nice. The way to a man OR a woman's heart must be through their stomachs!

Dave said...

A nice story Michelle. Good for you and thanks for relating it - Dave